Biological safety cabinet are laboratory equipment that acts as ventilated enclosures designed to protect the operator, laboratory atmosphere and working materials from exposure to infectious spatter or aerosols that may be generated by handling material containing infectious agents. This means that laboratory equipment must be used when working with certain microorganisms, cytotoxic products or products that cause allergic reactions.
Structure of a safety cab
The structure of a safety cabin is quite similar to that of vertical laminar flow hoods, but they also have HEPA filters in the air outlet that retain the contaminants present, thus allowing to protect the product, the operator, and the environment.
The safety cabinet feature a safety glass sheet that provides maximum optical capacity to manipulators by amplifying cellular components. Air quality inside the cabin is sustained (such as open air or with circulators and filters) to ensure that there are no particles that could impact samples and experiments. They also have cabinets that emit intense ultraviolet light in timed increments, thus facilitating the sterilization of the environment.
How do the security cabinet work?
The purpose of biological safety cabinet is to provide a working area that minimizes the likelihood that an airborne particle will escape to the outside of the cabin and thus contaminate the operator and the surrounding environment. In addition, some of them offer protection to the material being handled.
These cabinet have two systems that prevent pollution from coming out: air barriers and HEPA filters. Air barriers are generated by allowing air to flow in a single direction at a constant speed, creating a “curtain” of air known as laminar air flow.
Features and benefits of a security cab
- Provides a sterile working area for aseptic techniques.
- They have a high efficiency blower.
- Low power LED lighting.
- Vertical laminar air flow with HEPA filtration.
- Equipped with germicidal UV lamp for decontamination.
- 360 degree visibility with polycarbonate construction that absorbs UV rays.
What do we offer you in Kalstein?
At Kalstein we are MANUFACTURERS of laboratory equipment of the highest quality and at the best PRICES, and we have an excellent range of biosafety cabinet, which perfectly meet the technical specifications necessary to provide a quality analysis. This time we present our Biosafety Cabin type 1 YR0096 – YR0097. This equipment has the following distinctive features:
- The Class I Biosafety Cabinet does not protect the product from contamination because unpurified room air is constantly entering the work area.
- As a partial containment unit, the Class I biosafety cab is suitable for work with low to moderate risk agents (Biosafety levels 1, 2 and 3) where there is a need for containment, but not product protection.
- Unlike the conventional extraction hood, the HEPA filter in the Class I biosafety cab protects the environment by filtering the air before it runs out.
- With negative pressure, staff protection is made possible by the constant movement of air in the work area.
For more information we invite you to take a look at: HERE